Arkansas Medicaid logo Home | General | Provider | Consumer | Research | Front Line | Provider Portal
Frequently asked questions

Frequently Asked Questions

For your convenience, we’ve answered the questions we’re asked most often. If you have a question about Arkansas Medicaid that isn’t answered here, please get in touch with us.

Billing Policy Questions

Claims Questions

Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) Questions

Enrollment Questions

Prescription Drug Questions

Provider Portal Questions

How can I be certain to receive my applicable manual updates, official notices, and RA messages by email?

To be certain you receive your updates:

  1. Be sure we have your current email address on file. Use a generic email address that more than one person can access (e.g., instead of Email addresses often become outdated when an individual leaves a practice or clinic. Complete and return DMS-673 – Provider Address Change Form to update your email address on file. (Word, new window)
  2. Make sure your email address will accept email from You may have to instruct your network administrator or email provider to accept emails from Arkansas Medicaid sends email in bulk and some email services block bulk email unless instructed otherwise.
  3. Provider bulletins and notifications are posted as needed on What’s new for Arkansas Medicaid Providers along with manual updates, official notices and RA messages each week. Be sure to check this page often for important provider-related information.

What services are covered by Arkansas Medicaid?

Medicaid pays for a wide range of medical services. The Medical Assistance (Medicaid) Office assists in determining if Medicaid pays for a specific service. Many benefits have limits, especially for adults, which may be daily, weekly, monthly or annually. There are also services that have an overall dollar amount limit per time period. Some services require a referral from the beneficiaries’ PCPs. Services may be rendered by both private and public providers. All services, by definition or regulation, fall into one of the following groups:

NOTE: In addition to the services shown in these groups, the State complies with federal requirements regulating the EPSDT program. “Early and periodic screening and diagnosis and treatment” means:

  1. Screening and diagnostic services to determine physical or mental defects in recipients under age 21; and
  2. Health care, treatment, and other measures to correct or ameliorate any defects and chronic conditions discovered.

Is this patient eligible to receive Medicaid benefits?

Verify the patient’s eligibility using your Medicaid software (PES), through the provider portal on this website, or by dialing the Provider Assistance Center line and selecting option 3 for beneficiary eligibility. Beneficiary eligibility is determined by the local DHS offices and can be started or stopped anytime the beneficiary’s situation changes. Having a Medicaid ID card is not proof of eligibility and the responsibility of checking a beneficiary’s eligibility to receive Medicaid services lies with the Medicaid provider.

What procedure code do I use to bill Arkansas Medicaid for anesthesia on an Abdominal Hysterectomy?

Code 00840 cannot be used when billing Arkansas Medicaid for anesthesia on an Abdominal Hysterectomy. Since there is no specific CPT code for Abdominal Hysterectomy at this time, code Z9940 should be used. When more than one anesthesia procedure is billed on the same date of service, documentation or a diagnosis code to justify the return to the operating room must be attached.

Which codes do hospitals use to file paper claims?

For hospitals that file paper claims, the only billing change following HIPAA has to do with local codes that are mapped to national codes. That is,

  • Outpatient emergency claims must be billed with type of bill 101, regardless of whether the date of service is before 10/16/03 (procedure codes Z0646, Z0648, or Z0649) or after 10/13/03 (revenue codes 0450, 0622, or 0250). You may also use type of bill 131 and condition code 88 on a paper claim. If billed electronically, type of bill 131 with condition code 88 is payable.
  • Inpatient paper claims may use new condition codes 80, 81, or 82. Inpatient paper claims also use condition codes AB, AN, or AX. Inpatient electronic claims should use condition codes 80, 81, or 82.
  • Both paper and electronic claims can use
  • code 38 - Facility has semi-private rooms, but only private rooms are available (semi-private room not available) and
  • code 39 - Facility only has private rooms (private room medically necessary).

Where can I get help completing a CMS-1500 claim form?

Detailed billing instructions for your provider type can be found under “Billing Procedures” in Section II of your provider manual.

Whom can I call with a question about a claim?

Call the Provider Assistance Center at one of the following numbers:

In-state toll-free:
(800) 457-4454

Local and out-of-state:
(501) 376-2211

The Provider Assistance Center Staff.

Whom should I call for prior authorizations?

Call the Arkansas Foundation for Medical Care at (800) 426-2234 (Arkansas) or (800) 824-7586 (out of state).

Where can I order Medicaid forms?

To request forms, complete the Medicaid Form Request that can be found in Section V of your billing manual. View or print the Medicaid Form Request. When you have completed the form, you may fax it to 501-374-0549 or mail it to:

DXC Technology Forms Requests
PO Box 8033
Little Rock, AR 72203

How long will it take to process my claim?

A provider should wait about an hour after submitting claims to get a response. To check status of claim batches, a provider can submit a 276 to get a 277 response or go to the portal, select “Search Claim” and enter the dates of service billed in the batch. The search results will show if the claims are paid, denied or suspended.

The accumulation of processed claims then go through a weekend financial cycle. The deadline for each weekend cycle is 6:00 p.m. on Friday. Claims transmitted electronically by the weekly deadline will appear on the next RA.

Why was my claim denied?

We send you a Remittance Advice listing each of your claims. If a claim is denied, check the three-digit EOB code listed to the right of the claim on the RA. The EOB codes are explained on the last page of the RA.

Who was responsible for my claim being denied?

See Why was my claim denied above. EOB codes are explained on the last page of the RA. The explanation includes information about who was responsible for the denial.

What do you mean that this procedure is “incidental?”

Arkansas Medicaid considers the procedure to be part of another procedure for which a claim has already been filed. This item cannot be billed separately.

Why won’t Medicaid pay for an office visit and urinalysis?

Arkansas Medicaid considers urinalysis to be “incidental to” (a part of) the office visit.

What is a claim “adjustment?”

After a claim is listed as paid on your remittance advice statement, it can be corrected if you realize that it contained an error. The error is corrected with an adjustment or reversal.

DXC Technology first processes the adjustment, deducting the amount already paid for the claim from future claim payments. This cancels the incorrect claim.

Then DXC Technology processes the attached claim for the correct amount.

Adjustments can be made electronically using PES software or by completing an Adjustment Request Form.

To complete an electronic adjustment or reversal:

  1. Open PES software.
  2. From the list, select the appropriate Claim Frequency code.
  3. Select 1 to submit an original claim.
  4. Select 7 to adjust a prior claim (indicated by the ICN). Copy the original claim, change the Claim Frequency to 7, type the 13-digit original ICN, correct the claim and save the transaction.

NOTE: You can adjust a claim only after it is listed as paid on a remittance advice. A claim cannot be adjusted during the week that it is originally submitted. The adjustment request must have the same details as the original claim. You cannot submit adjustment requests that add or delete details not submitted on the original claim. To remove a detail, you must recoup the claim and rebill. To add a detail, you must submit another claim with that detail.

  1. Select 8 to reverse (void) a prior claim (indicated by the ICN) and have the payment withheld from future payments.

NOTE: You must complete a voided claim exactly as it was originally submitted for the cancellation to be successful. You can increase your accuracy when voiding claims by copying the original claim, changing the Claim Frequency to 8, typing the 13-digit ICN, and saving the transaction.

To complete a paper adjustment:

  1. Complete an Adjustment Request Form for the claim. You can order this form from the Provider Assistance Center, or you can photocopy the example of the form in Section V of your provider manual. The form number is HP-AR-004.
  2. Complete a new paper claim form with the correct information. Attach it to the Adjustment Request Form. In the “Description” area of the Adjustment Request Form, note “Corrected claim is attached.”
  3. Send the Adjustment Request Form with the corrected claim attached to:
DXC Technology
PO BOX 8036

How can I reverse a claim that was sent this week?

You can reverse a claim using the claim frequency (or TOB) code “8 - void” and the original claim ICN. The reversal request must be an exact copy of the claim submitted. The reversal request can be sent until the adjudication cycle begins. The ICN will not appear on the remit the following week if the transaction was successful.

How can I recoup a paid claim and what happens to the ICN?

You can recoup a claim using the claim frequency (or TOB) code “8 - void” and the original claim ICN. The recoup request must be an exact copy of the claim submitted. The ICN on the remit the following week will be a region “54” and will appear on the denied adjustments sections.

If a patient has both Medicare and Medicaid coverage, how do I file the claim?

Bill Medicare first. Then,

  • If the patient has only Medicare and Medicaid coverage and Medicare pays part of the claim (or applies the charge toward the deductible), bill the balance as a “crossover” claim through PES software. Or you can submit a paper crossover invoice. The proprietary crossover claim forms can no longer be used. The new EOMB attachment – Form DMS-600 (PDF, new window), along with your crossover claim and the original EOMB must be submitted for paper crossover claims to:
DXC Technology
PO Box 34440

Paper crossover claims received on the proprietary crossover claim forms will be returned for resubmission using the new process. This change is for submitting crossovers on PAPER only.

  • If the patient has only Medicare and Medicaid coverage and Medicare denies the claim, bill the charges to Medicaid on an original red-ink claim for (CMS-1500 or CMS-1450), attaching the Medicare denial. Submit the claim to:
DXC Technology
PO BOX 8036
  • If Medicare denies the claim and the patient also has Medicare-supplement or private insurance, bill the charges to Medicaid on an original red-ink claim form (CMS-1500 or CMS-1450), attaching both the Medicare denial and the insurance company’s Explanation of Benefits form. Submit the claim to the DXC Technology research analyst as shown above.
  • If Medicare pays the claim but Medicare-supplement or private insurance denies it, bill the claim to Arkansas Medicaid on the paper crossover invoice, attaching the insurance company’s denial. Submit the claim to the DXC Technology research analyst as shown above.
  • If both Medicare and Medicare-supplement or private insurance deny the claim, then bill the charges to Medicaid on an original red-ink claim form (CMS-1500 or CMS-1450), attaching both denials. Submit the claim to the DXC Technology research analyst as shown above.

Research Analysts

This claim was denied for “timely filing.” What does that mean?

Arkansas Medicaid pays claims that are received within 12 months of the date of service.

Which beneficiary ID?

Arkansas Medicaid may have more than one beneficiary ID on record for any given Medicaid patient. The base ID--the beneficiary’s original Medicaid number—remains in the data processing system permanently. If the beneficiary’s eligibility for Medicaid services has not been continuous, then that beneficiary may also have multiple IDs that are different from the base ID. Any of these ID numbers can be used to verify eligibility and file claims.

Prior to HIPAA, no matter what ID number was submitted on an eligibility-verification request, the system response showed the beneficiary’s base ID, sometimes creating confusion. Since October 31, 2003, the response shows the same ID number that was submitted by the provider. The response to a “fuzzy search” based on the beneficiary’s name shows the base ID.

I have questions about electronic billing. Is there someone I can talk to?

If you have questions or problems related to electronic claims, please see PES trouble-shooting notes, and then call the EDI Support Center if necessary.

Please note: If you need assistance installing PES on your network or resolving transmission problems when using PES on your network, you will need to contact the technical support representative or team in your office. EDI does not support network issues.

In-state toll-free:
(800) 457-4454

Local and out-of-state:
(501) 376-2211


Providers who file electronic claims can report “Host Processing Error,” “Unable to Assign ICN” or “Server is Down” messages during off hours by calling the EDI Help Desk at (501) 374-6609, ext. 290. This number is available Monday through Friday, 6 pm to 6 am, and on weekends and holidays. Leave a message, and Help Desk personnel will be paged immediately. If you do not leave a message, no problem report will be registered. Do not use this number to report claim rejections.

What are the system requirements to use the provider portal?

Providers with PCs can submit claims via the web using an internet browser. To ensure the best possible user experience while visiting the provider portal, we recommend using Microsoft Internet Explorer version 7.0 and later, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome or Safari with a minimum screen resolution of 1024 x 768 pixels. The web-based provider portal was designed to integrate seamlessly with the Arkansas Medicaid Management Information System (MMIS) and is therefore the preferred method for electronic transactions.

Access the Arkansas Medicaid Provider Portal. (HTML, new window)

Instructions for submitting claims and verifying eligibility via the portal are available by using the site’s online Help feature.

What are the system requirements to use PES software?

Provider Electronic Solutions (PES) software is available at no cost to any provider who submits Medicaid claims. PES supports submission of claims in a batch mode only. The software requires, at a minimum, a Pentium II processor with 64 MB RAM, 100 MB free hard-drive space, a monitor with 800 x 600 resolution, Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7 and MS Internet Explorer 6.0 or greater. The software supports dental, institutional and professional claim types. In addition to submitting claims, providers can also view claim responses using PES software.

Download and install PES 2.25.

Instructions for using PES software are available by using the application’s Help feature.

How many digits are in a beneficiary’s ID number?


How can I receive electronic RAs?

You can receive electronic RAs on the HealthCare Provider Portal (HTML, new window).
View or print the job aid to help you find your RA. (PDF, new window)

How do I access my WebRA?

WebRA will no longer be used with the new provider portal. It is temporarily available to retrieve RAs dated 10/26/17. Log on to the legacy provider portal, click the WebRA link in the left-hand menu and then follow the instructions to get the 10/26/17 RA.

How can I find my RA on the HealthCare Provider Portal?

When searching for RAs on the portal, providers should enter the Monday through Friday date range for that week’s RA. The Provider Portal uses the issuance date to locate the RA. If a provider receives a paper check, then the RA will be issued on a Thursday. If the provider receives EFT, the issuance date for the RA is Friday.

To find your RA on the provider portal, click Search Payment History on the left side of the page, or click the Claims tab at the top of the screen. Fill in the appropriate search fields. Not all fields are required, including Payment Method, Payment Type or Payment ID. You must enter a From and a To to set the range for the Issue Date. The range cannot be greater than 90 days. Click Search. Your search results will appear in the Search Results window. These details will be returned: Issue Date, Payment Method, Payment Type, Payment ID, Total Paid Amount and RA Copy. Click RA Copy to print a copy of the remittance advice.

How long will my RA be available on the HealthCare Provider Portal?

A provider’s Remittance Advices will be available on the provider portal for up to 7 years beginning October 30, 2017 going forward.

Where can I find electronic rejection codes?

These codes are included in the HIPAA Companion Guides.

What electronic and digital signatures will Arkansas Medicaid accept?

Medicaid will accept electronic signatures provided the electronic signatures comply with Arkansas Code § 25-31-103 et seq.

Provider Enrollment Staff

How can I become an Arkansas Medicaid provider?

To enroll as an Arkansas Medicaid provider, go to the online enrollment application (HTML, new window).

If you have questions about how to enroll, call Arkansas Medicaid Provider Enrollment at (501) 376-2211 (local or out of state) or (800) 457-4454 (Arkansas). When prompted, select 0 for “Other Inquiries”, then option 3 for “Provider Enrollment”. View or print Provider Enrollment contact information.

The link above opens in Microsoft Word. When you click the link, the document opens in a new window. To return to this page, close the window. If you click the link and the document doesn’t open, download Microsoft Word Viewer free so you can view and print the document.

If you are required to have a National Provider Identifier (NPI), you must report it to Arkansas Medicaid once enrolled as an Arkansas Medicaid provider. For more information about the NPI, view NPI frequently asked questions.

How can I apply for a temporary Arkansas Medicaid provider number?

Arkansas Medicaid does not issue temporary provider numbers. To obtain an Arkansas Medicaid provider ID number, you must complete an application for enrollment. See How can I become an Arkansas Medicaid provider?

How long does it take for my enrollment application to process?

The application process can take 30 business days. Delays with your application can occur if it contains incomplete or incorrect items. When applying online, there is less possibility for making errors that would result in your application being denied and returned to you for correction. If you fail to enter needed information, you will be prompted to provide the missing information.

What are some tips for helping my provider application or re-enrollment progress more smoothly?

Our enrollment specialists have listed some tips to help your application or re-enrollment progress more smoothly.

  1. You must submit credentials annually. A good rule of thumb is to fax a current copy to Provider Enrollment when you mail your license/certification renewal fees to your state. When faxing state licenses, please make certain you fax the current license. Always check the expiration date before faxing.
  2. When submitting credentials for re-enrollment, always write your provider number on the form. This will help us process your renewal more quickly if there are several providers under the same tax ID number.
  3. When enrolling for Electronic Fund Transfer (EFT) Authorization for Automatic Deposit, you must attach a voided check or a letter from the bank. Deposit slips are not accepted to set up EFTs.
  4. If you have been inactive with Arkansas Medicaid for 6 months, you must submit a new application.
  5. W-9 forms and contracts for individual providers must be submitted in their name, with their Social Security number, and their original signature. If the W-9 or contract is for a group or facility, it must include the tax ID number and an original signature. A tax coupon is also acceptable in place of a W-9 form.

What is deferred compensation?

As a Medicaid provider, you are an independent contractor of the state of Arkansas and are eligible to defer a portion of your Medicaid income on a pre-tax basis. By making contributions to the State of Arkansas Diamond Deferred Compensation 457(b) Plan, commonly referred to as the Arkansas Diamond Plan, you can include Medicaid as an element of your retirement planning.

The annual dollar limit is $18,000 for calendar year 2015. If you are age 50 or older, the catch-up contribution annual dollar limit is $6,000 for calendar year 2015. This deferral is in addition to any contributions made on your behalf to a qualified retirement plan established by your group or individual practice such as a 401 (k) plan, a profit sharing plan, a money purchase pension plan or a defined benefit plan. The Arkansas Diamond Plan includes a special pre-retirement catch-up provision which allows deferrals for three consecutive years. The 3-year, pre-retirement, catch up will be $36,000 in 2015. The Arkansas Diamond Plan also offers a ROTH option. Participants can utilize both options during the year if they wish, but their total contribution cannot exceed their respective calendar year limit.

For more information regarding the Plan, eligibility requirements, and investment options, contact Robert Jones of Stephens, Inc. at 501-377-8112 or 1-866-275-0457.

How do I determine the correct unit and quantity when I bill Medicaid for this drug?

All products are billed as milliliter(s), gram(s), or each.

  • Most liquids are billed in milliliters. And products containing powder for reconstitution to be taken orally are billed in milliliters following reconstitution.
  • Most ointments, creams, and topical powders are billed in grams.
  • Most tablets or capsules are billed as each. Vials containing powder for reconstitution to be injected are billed by the number of vials—each. Other items that normally are billed as each are blood factor units, kits, packets, syringes, condoms, and diaphragms.

Exceptions include

Item Billing Unit
Asmanex Inhaler Each (1 inhaler is billed as a quantity of 1)
Diastat Each (per kit)
Fragmin Milliliters
Lovenox Milliliters (example – Lovenox 60mg/0.6ml syringe is billed as a quantity of 0.6 per syringe)
Prevpac Each (per unit) (revised per NDCPDP – 112 units per kit)
Ventolin Inhaler Grams (example – Ventolin 18 gram inhaler is billed as a quantity of 18)

Where may I see a list of the drugs covered by the Arkansas Medicaid program?

Arkansas Medicaid provides guidelines for determining what products are payable. Coverage of any product depends on the manufacturer’s or labeler’s participation in the federal rebate program administered by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. The Arkansas Medicaid Pharmacy Provider Manual defines the scope of coverage in Section II. You can download the Pharmacy Provider Manual free.

More prescription drug information can be found at the Magellan Medicaid Administration website (HTML, new window).

How can I change my PCP caseload?

Providers can now change their patient caseloads online utilizing the Provider Portal. To set the PCP caseload over 2500, Provider Enrollment requires a written request stating why the higher caseload is needed. The request should be mailed to:

Medicaid Provider Enrollment Unit
P.O. Box 8105
Little Rock, AR 72203-8105

No faxes or photocopies will be accepted. An original signature is required on the request. If the PCP caseload is set over 2500 using the online form, an error will be reported and no change will be made.

How can I change my demographic information?

Non-facility providers can change their demographic information online after they have logged onto the provider portal.

Why can’t I access the provider portal?

Only currently active providers have access to the provider portal. Inactive or suspended providers must contact the Provider Enrollment Unit before they will be able to log on the portal.

HIPAA requirements mandate the following security measures for the provider portal:

  • Users will be automatically directed to change their password if it matches their Tax ID/SSN or Medicaid/BreastCare provider ID.
  • Passwords must meet all of the password requirements for the provider portal.
  • Users must select a security question and provide an answer to that question to be used later to unlock the account or recover a password.
  • Security question answers must:
  • Be at least 4 characters long
  • NOT contain the user ID
  • NOT contain the security question
  • Users will be redirected to the log-on page if there is no activity on a secure page for more than 20 minutes.
  • Users will be locked out of an account automatically after six failed log in attempts within an hour.

What are the requirements for passwords on the provider portal?

Passwords for the provider portal must adhere to specific requirements. All passwords are case sensitive and must:

  • Be between 8 and 20 characters in length
  • Contain at least 1 alpha character
  • Contain at least 1 numeric character
  • Contain at least 1 uppercase character
  • Contain at least 1 lowercase character
  • Contain at least 1 special character
  • NOT contain the same character more than twice
  • NOT contain the user ID
  • NOT be any of the previous 6 passwords